Why cut the state geologist position?

Geology, Geochemistry, Oceanography, Atmospheric sciences, Environmental sciences and other geoscience disciplines...
Newsman
VIP Member

Why cut the state geologist position?

Post by Newsman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 pm

I am from out of state now, but I was educated in Boone and Iowa State University. I worked at the Iowa Geological Survey from 1973-1981. The agency was on the forefront of science and research in the state, including topics such as water exploration, wise well development, remote sensing, mineral exploration, geologic mapping and coal research. The agency was dedicated to the wise development of resources, with an eye towards ensuring resources were developed but also protected for future generations. The organization has been decimated and is now just a pathetic shadow of what it was intended to be well over a hundred years ago.

And now the position of state geologist has been eliminated. Apparently Iowans are regarded as ignorant rubes who no longer have an opinion or who are afraid to speak up against ridiculous decisions. It is no surprise that agencies such as this are targeted for destruction under current political leadership across the nation. After all, clean water, healthy soils and wise development of natural resources have no place in this era of anti-science ignorance. Many states are in a financial bind, and some cuts are necessary. It is hard to believe, however, the salary of one person will save the state from financial ruin. What could the other motivations possibly be?

— Jim Case, Cheyenne, Wyo.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... 456001001/