Marchenko Imaging, New, but what do you think?

Oil and natural gas exploration -- geology and geophysics
jefry123

Marchenko Imaging, New, but what do you think?

Post by jefry123 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Hey guys,

In the 2015 conference and exhibition of EAGE in Madrid, Spain, I found that there is a newly introduced imaging method called Marchenko Imaging. As I realized, this topic is the interest of some great research groups and researchers (as I know them), Delft, CWP, ETH and Edinburgh to name the main ones.

I may know this method by its reputation of its researchers and publishers. I don't know about its theory, its applications or its future.
What do you think of its future and applicability?
And, working on it can help someone looking for a PhD position?

GuyM
VIP Member

Re: Marchenko Imaging, New, but what do you think?

Post by GuyM » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:40 am

There's a few "Marchenko Imaging explained" type primers around.

I don't go to a lot of technical talks but I did see some results of this presented by Andrew Long of PGS done on some Petronas data at a conference in Malaysia a while ago.

I suspect the main issue is cost effectiveness - that is to say you'll need to process the whole survey conventionally first (to make the model) taking out the multiples, and then go back and reprocess it with the multiples included to do the rest.

The benefit in the PGS paper was a wider footprint and using "virtual sources" (ie where the multiple energy originates) to illuminate complex structures.

So - its interesting but hasn't gone as "mainstream" as (say) Full Waveform Imaging, which is catching on more and more.

That said - no one has any money at the moment...

jefry123

Post by jefry123 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Actually, I was looking for a paper with a real data tested by this method, thank you for the example.

So, it is still at the beginning, but growing.

GuyM
VIP Member

Post by GuyM » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Here's one PGS paper - they call the method "SWIM"

https://www.pgs.com/globalassets/techni ... d_swim.pdf

Note that it will emphasize the use of their propitiatory wave-field separation acquisition approach (GeoStreamer)